Skype History Location for different computer windows
Move Skype History :The easiest way to complete the below direction is by using a thumb drive though you can transfer the data over the network via network shares, using an external hard drive, or any other way you can get the old data onto the new computer. Simply replace USERNAME in the paths below to the user for which Skype is installed.
Windows XP Skype History Folder Location:
C:\Documents and Settings\WINDOWSUSERNAME\Application Data\Skype
Windows Vista Skype History Folder Location:
Windows 7 Skype History Folder Location:
- Shutdown Skype On Old PC: Make sure that Skype is turned off on the old computer.
- Copy Skype History To USB Drive: Copy the entire Skype directory from above to your USB thumb drive.
- Shutdown Skype: Make sure that Skype is turned off on the new computer.
- Backup Skype History Locally: On the new computer copy the current Skype folder mentioned in the path listing above based on Windows OS(Operating System) to a place like your Desktop or somewhere else where it will be convenient to access if necessary.
- Replace Chatsync Folders: Connect the USB drive to the new computer and navigate to the inside of the Skype folder you copied from the old computer. In the Skype directory you should see sub directories that are named the same as your Skype usernames. Drag the chatsync folder from one of the username folders to the new computer into the username folder on the new computer again using the path references above to locate the Skype history folder. This will overwrite any conversations you have had since installing Skype on the new computer but I imagine your history is more important on the old computer if you have just recently installed Skype. Below are examples of specifically what folder should move from the old computer to the new computer.Move This Skype Chat History Folder From Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\WINDOWSUSERNAME\Application Data\Skype\SKYPEUSER\chatsync
- Start Skype & Log On To Skype: Now launch Skype on the new computer. When launching Skype you may get an error complaining about logon credentials but don’t worry about this right now. If you simply type in your username and password and click login then you should not see the credentials error again. You should now be able to browse your chat history that was stored on the old computer on the new computer.