How To Install WSUS on Windows Server 2008
Install WSUS on Windows Server 2008Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) enables information technology administrators to deploy the latest Microsoft product updates to computers that are running the Windows operating system. By using WSUS, administrators can fully manage the distribution of updates that are released through Microsoft Up
date to computers in their network.
WSUS allows administrators to control and distribute Windows updates from a central location. This free patch management solution can be installed on Server 2003 or Server 2008.
- Server 2008 or Server 2003 SP1
- BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
- IIS (Internet Information Services)
- MSDE database or SQL 2005 Database
- .NET Framework 2.0 or higher
Install WSUS on Windows Server 2008
- Open Server Manager > Add Roles
- Install “Windows Server Update Services” Role
Configure on Windows Server 2008
- On “Select Update Source” screen, check “Store updates locally” (ensure you have enough space to store large amounts of updates)
- Use existing SQL 2005 Server or choose Windows Internal Database
- Use the existing IIS site, click Next
- Click Finish
Configure Automatic Update client via Group Policy
Use Group Policy to configure Automatic Update client to download from WSUS server.
- Create a new Domain Policy on Computers OU
- Expand to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update
- Click on “Configure Automatic Updates setting”, here configure Automatic Updates as you desire. Click OK
- Click on “Specify intranet Microsoft update service location”, choose “Enabled ”, Configure intranet server in this format: http://WSUSSERVER
- Once this Group Policy is propagated to the clients, clients will start to download from the WSUS server